Last week we launched The Ultimate Packing List Series with The Ultimate Packing List for Europe in Spring. In that post we mentioned our Never Forget List, so we thought we better let you have that so you don’t have any packing mishaps!
Division in the Ranks!
One of the things that hasn’t been listed on this list, or on any of our Ultimate Packing Lists, are pyjamas. The Expert Traveller team are divided on the need for sleepwear! Some of us can’t live without it…whilst others have a ‘devil may care’ attitude to bedtime attire. Therefore we are leaving that decision in your capable hands. Here’s a helpful guide though in case you’re just not sure…
- I Wear Sleepwear At Home – YOU SHOULD TAKE SOME SLEEPWEAR WITH YOU.
- I Don’t Wear Sleepwear At Home – YOU DON’T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT PACKING IT THEN!
- I’m Afraid to Be Seen Naked – TAKE SLEEPWEAR IF YOU’RE TRAVELLING TO EARTHQUAKE ZONES, OR AREAS WITH LOTS OF VOLCANIC ACTIVITY JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE TO EVACUATE AT NIGHT!
- . I Love to be Seen Naked – YOU MOST LIKELY NEED A ‘CLOTHING OPTIONAL’ TRAVEL DESTINATION.
How The Never Forget List Works
Our Never Forget List is divided into five categories –
- First Aid Kit
- Sewing Kit
- Travel Accessories
In each category we have outlined what you need to take to make sure your trip is as smooth and trouble free as possible. We’ve found these items invaluable on many of our trips. In fact they’ve saved us more times than we can count!
A Word on Medications
There are some really important things to remember when travelling with medications and medical devices.
- Not all countries allow medications to be brought in (this includes many over-the-counter medications, such as ibuprofen).
- Lots of countries will require your medications to be in their original packaging with the pharmacist label intact.
- Some countries will require a letter from your doctor detailing what the medications are and why you need them. We suggest you get this no matter where you’re going.
- Medical devices that require power on a plane may need to be approved by the airline before you travel
- If you need to bring portable oxygen with you on a flight you will need to check with the airline and arrival desitination
- Be prepared before you travel – do your research on what is allowed in the place/s you are going.
- Be ready to have your luggage searched if you have medical devices, need a range of medications, and/or are travelling for an extended period. Have all your paperwork with you to make the process easier and faster.
The Ultimate Packing List – The Never Forget List
Here it is, hot off the presses, a list of the things we recommend that you never, ever, ever forget when you leave home for a trip! Don’t say we didn’t warn you…
Expert Traveller Recommends….
When we recommend taking aloe vera gel, bug spray, sunscreen etc., we don’t mean the bulk buy bargain size that lasts for 6 months. Packing as light as is possible is a tenet of our Ultimate Packing Lists. So look for smaller versions, or better still buy some re-useable containers and refill them from your bulk stash!
Nail files, scissors and the like should also be handy travel sized. No need to take your grandmother’s best shears with you. Foldable hairbrushes are a great idea but if yours is compact then just use that. We like the hand-sized detangling brushes – they work wonders on windswept, hat flattened, and weather ruined hair!
With any liquid items we suggest you pack them in checked baggage, unless you absolutely need them on the plane. If you do, then they need to be in 100ml bottles and inside your clear, ziplock plastic bag for security checks.
Keep medications, and any doctor’s letters, in your carry-on bags so that you aren’t left without essential medications if your luggage is lost. We also throw a change of clothes and underwear in there as well. As seasoned travellers we have had our fair share of lost baggage!